10 July 2013

Dokdo? More like Dok-don't even go there, Japan!

I am a level 7 slacker.
I should be doing actual work right now, but I feel like blogging to the world about how my life is significant and special. Or something.

I should probably write a bit about Dokdo. For those of you who don't know, Dokdo is an island a ways off the east coast of South Korea.
It's sovereignty has been disputed since the beginning of time (or so it seems). Japan says it's Japanese, Korea says it's Korean, and they simply don't seem to want to come to a conclusion since no one wants to give it up. 

Anyway, being a foreigner in Korea sometimes has its perks, and one of those is being used in Korean propaganda! Since I am very awesome with my foreign-ness, I was chosen, along with 19 other foreigners, to become Honorary Ambassadors to Dokdo. We were taken on a three-day trip to Ulleungdo, then from Ulleungdo took a ferry to see the harbor of Dokdo for 20 minutes. They gave us Korean flags to take pictures with, and that we did.
See? I blend right in, I know.

Then after 20 minutes the police started herding us like sheep back onto the ferry for another two and a half hours back to Ulleungdo. It was an amazing trip. The islands were beautiful and the water was so blue and clear and the squid was (mostly) delicious. It really didn't hurt that I was surrounded by 19 awesome people as well. I made some good friends on that trip, and I'm really glad that I went.
As for the conflict?
To me, it doesn't really matter. I'm not Korean, will never be Korean, so it doesn't affect me. However, through the history and research I have read (even some information apart from the stuff they fed us throughout the trip) I would have to concede that Dokdo is Korean. It has been Korean, and probably should stay Korean. 
See? Logic.

What I'm most surprised by is the backlash against the foreigners who went on the trip. Biggest surprise about that is that the over-the-top judgment is coming from our own fellow foreigners. I get it, I really do. Foreigners shouldn't be used for propaganda, I have no idea what they're doing with my picture, they can attach my name to anything, and you generally hate everything about me doing this. 
Guess what? I don't care what you think about me or my reasons to do this, or the consequences afterwards.
The way I see it, I got a free trip to an island most KOREANS don't ever get to visit in their lifetimes, as well as four days away from teaching responsibilities (as much as I love the buggers, some time off is appreciated). I see no harm in Koreans putting my picture in a newspaper and attaching it to their own common knowledge. Sure, the Japanese don't use foreigners, but I'm sure they have their own ways of propaganda, seeing as they're not allowed on the island.

In closing, going to Dokdo was an honor and privilege. I volunteered to be a pawn of propaganda to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I hope to never forget the experience of going to Ulleungdo and Dokdo. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, let alone gotten the opportunity to walk around. I made better friendships in four days than in the five months I've been in Korea. 
So...do I regret being a propaganda tool? 

Not at all. That's a stupid thing to be regretful of. What a stupid question.

With that, I leave you with pictures of Ulleungdo.
A view of Ulleungdo from a neighboring island(not Dokdo)




The water really was that blue. Seriously. This picture doesn't even do it justice. It was paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment