20 August 2013

Obligatory six-month post

Six months ago I embarked on a new journey that has lead to some interesting adventures. New friends, acquaintances, habits, routines, and experiences. I find myself pondering questions I never thought I'd ask, such as:

Do you think there will be pictures on the menu?
How long is a meter?
I wonder what I'm eating right now...
What is he trying to say to me?
What's that in Celsius?
Why did that old man just hit me with a rolled-up newspaper?

...and a whole lot of other "Why" questions. However, I no longer question anything ajummas do.

There are things I just can't get used to, while other things have become so habitual I don't even notice them until someone points them out to me, such as bowing. I bow to everyone, even foreigners now. Sometimes it's embarrassing. I also say the word "Aish" for any situation where something has gone wrong, or I stub a toe, but I mostly blame that on my affinity for Korean dramas. Speaking of, I have also developed an affinity for Korean dramas and K-Pop. However, I see nothing wrong with it. You can learn a lot about the culture from their television shows. Just look at American television if you think I'm wrong.

I have started a new journey into learning the language, which is proving to be an uphill battle. The worst part of the battle thus far is forcing myself to study, but I just need to buckle down and do it if I'm ever going to have a chance in actually learning anything. As for now, I have the basics and can get through a simple interaction. I consider that awesome, even though it's only a small stepping stone to where I want to be.

I go into my next six months refreshed and ready from my first-ever vacation. I'll write about that later. For now, this has been my obligatory six-month post.

No comments:

Post a Comment