18 April 2013

I suppose I should say, "Thank you."

So, I saw this late night show once where the host writes thank you notes to special people from the week. I figure I have a lot to be thankful for, so why not give it a try?

Thank you to Korea, for always proving me wrong. Even though most of the time it happens right after I say something, you always show me how much I have to learn about this place. Thank you, also, for your distinctive scent, lest I ever forget where I am.

Thank you, ajumma on the train. Actually, I didn't know that the subway doors meant I should go through. Thank you for always being there, or anywhere else, to provide a helpful and forceful push in the right direction, with a scowl of disapproval to boot.
In case you don't know what an ajumma is:


Thank you, Koreans, for not believing in lines. Really, why wait?

Thank you, students, for treating me like a rock star. I know that it won't last forever, but I really enjoy walking down the aisle to lunch to high-fives and waving, while hearing "Hello Kristen teacher!" over and over. Best part of my day right there.

Thank you, 6th graders, for making everything violent.
Me: Okay, today we're going to learn future tense, like "I will." Okay? It's something I haven't done yet, but will in the future, like tomorrow, next week, or next month. Got it? Repeat after me: I will.
Students: I will.
Me: Good. You say "I will" and a verb to describe things you do in the future, like "I will do homework," "I will sleep," or "I will eat lunch." Got it?
Student #1: I will hit.
Me: No, we don't hit.
Student #1: Yes, hit. I will hit.....him!
Me: No, you will not hit him. No hitting.
Student #2: I will kill.
Me: What?! No killing. No one will kill.
Student #3: I will kill.
Student #2: I will kill.....you?
Student #4 & 5: Yes! I will kill you!
Student #4: Not yet, in future!
Me: Well, at least you're getting the concept of future tense.


Thank you, cocktail in a bag. That is all.

Thank you, Korean language, for being as complicated as possible to further confuse me while I desperately try to learn you.

Those are my thank you notes for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment