24 April 2013

Sometimes students surprise 선생님

I had to title it with the Korean for the alliteration. I just had to.

As the title suggests, sometimes my students really surprise me.

On an assignment to introduce me to a new friend, my fifth graders:
She dislikes her friend, she likes teacher Kristen teacher.

I look sad, but his compliment makes me smile again!

Then, just this week I had my fourth graders design signs for the lesson "don't." Needless to say, there are a lot of signs that say "don't die." Among the "don't die" signs are some real gems.

One of the more creative. The little guy in the corner is himself as a ghost looking at himself as a dying angel.

A budding artist indeed.

"Don't pick the nose." A very good observation by a 
student who was doing this only moments before.

Don't tell me what to do, kid.

Apparently she does not eat at her English Academy. (Hagwon kid)

This one also had to learn "Don't write on the desk" 
while practicing the letters for his sign.

My sixth graders are making Bucket Lists to practice future tense "I will." The most popular response of the day is "I will fly." Yes, they plan to fly with no assistance whatsoever. 
My favorite response: "I will win a Nobel Prize. I will donate ₩1,000,000,000 to science." This came from the same girl who wants to learn English so she can work for NASA. I've said it before, I'll say it again, you go girl.

Sometimes this job seems difficult. Sometimes, meaning a lot, I miss friends and family. Sometimes, I miss the convenience of living in a country I can understand. Sometimes, I miss cheeseburgers. However, I look at things like this and I smile. My students make me smile (most) everyday. I have a wonderful job that doesn't require me to wear an apron or answer phones (and when I do answer a phone, they tend to hang up), and they pay me really well and give me all the benefits that every person should have around the world. 

Honestly, I can't imagine where I would be if I had stayed in the States. Most likely miserable, working a dead-end job for minimum wage as I have been forever. Happier everyday that I get to do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment